Sunday, August 20, 2006

Coherent again...

Well, the surgery went well according to Dr M. It was an ACL revision that saw them remove part of my right hamstring and use it as the ACL in the left knee. They also had to clean things up a bit and trim the meniscus.

With my Dr telling me that this procedure was more invasive than a "reconstruction", I'm amazed that I can apply weight to both legs, and I'm actually encouraged to move them as much as possible. My last ACL reconstruction had me on crutches for almost a month, then using a cane for a week. At this rate I should be without crutches within a week or two. The only reason I have them now is in case one of the legs (particularly my thighs) decide to give out.

Pain is more tolerable now. I can sleep most of the night. The swelling is down. The "sexy stockings" are off...these stockings look like white nylons that go from toe to thigh on each leg that help reduce swelling and prevent clotting...they're nasty. Most of the major bandages are also now off.

All that being said, I'm more than happy with the progress and I'm actually beginning to believe that I may get to kick a football again someday in the near future.

Anyway, I thought about putting a pic or two up, but I'm not sure anyone wants to see a swollen knee! But if you'd like me to...I would be happy to appease my 3 readers!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not sure if I want to see the pics but it is good to hear your knee surgery went so well. Are we going to have to call you the "bionic man" or how about the "bionic man with nice white stockings?"

Praying for you.

Kelly said...

Glad to hear all went well...are you able to work, or do you have some time off?

Unknown said...

Bryce, I will always answer to "Bionic Man"!

And yes, Dags, I did get some time off work. They were very gracious and understanding and the time off has certainly helped the healing.