Tuesday, November 21, 2006

NYWC '07...

I started to post and then I realized that I would say too much and try to be too profound an insightful. Then I stopped and thought to myself, "when have I ever been profound and insightful in my blog?"

So, here it is...the simplified version of what I experienced in Anaheim. It can be summed up by one word that is written in red marker on the back of an American one dollar bill. LOVE.

Everywhere I turned I was being reminded to love.
  • The crazy sign people reminded me to love the people that believe differently than I do.
  • Efrem Smith reminded me that "God wants to love the hell out of you."
  • Matthew Barnett reminded me to stop seeking after success and start seeking after the welfare of the people. Again with the love thing.
  • Mike Pilavachi reminded me "go after the one" and to "love with Jesus' heart". Whole lotta love.
  • Shane Claiborne (who left me with the dollar) reminded me "don't do great things; do little things with great love!"
  • Marko reminded me that I'm also arrogant and I think that's because I'm usually more in love with myself than with other people.
  • I was reminded that I need to love my family more.
  • I was reminded that I need to love difficult students more.
At one point we were asked to select one word that we felt God was placing on our heart. Then we were asked to write that word on a mirror with a sharpie and then look at our reflection behind that word. What was it that God was trying to reveal in us and through us. The one word for me? LOVE.

I'm still trying to work this out practically. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with my dollar (go here to read a way better explanation by Kerry). I'm still trying to figure out how to love difficult people. I need to greatly improve how I love my family. I've got to just get better at loving people overall.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Well done with the love thing bro. God was really hammering me with that one too. I just broke down after Barnett spoke, absolutely crushed. I wish we could have met up in Anaheim, well maybe next year in SD? Keep it on the radar...

Unknown said...

For me it was when Shane called us up to take the dollar. I hit my seat and the tears just started flowing. I dunno...I'm not usually a crier, but God was definitely doing something.

And you're on for Sand Diego!