Sunday, October 01, 2006

This is why...

I got to baptize one of our high school students today and this reminds me why I do what I do. Not that I needed a reminder...but it's always nice to jog the memory. It's fascinating to watch how God and teenagers intersect and it's exciting to watch students as they respond to Him.

I've been part of a few different conversations lately where people ask how I can work with teens. These individuals seem to have a hard time engaging students in conversation. More than that, it seems most people have a difficult time understanding teenagers.

Ok, now I don't profess to be an all-knowing youth ministry expert. I'll likely never write a youth ministry book or teach a seminar at
NYWC. I won't begin a youth ministry consulting firm where I tell everyone what's wrong with their ministry and how they can reach students better. I won't ever make a fortune doing this. I'll never be famous. But I love what I do.

I don't have a profound answer for why I can work with students. I just can. I guess the "spiritual" answer would be that God gifted me for this. Others would say I'm "cursed". Others call me crazy and wonder when I'll grow up and start hanging around people my own age.

Want to know a secret? I have a difficult time with adults. I usually find myself searching for what to say and how to say it. I fidget during the awkward silence at a dinner table. I get nervous when I think about big groups of people that aren't under the age of 18. I'm strange that way.

I'm working on it though. I'm trying to engage in "adult conversation" (it sounds funny to refer to it that way). I'm making progress in terms of talking to parents and board members and other church folks who don't get a huge kick out of hitting others with a pool noodle.


But then again, doesn't everyone love to swat someone else with a pool noodle?

Ok, this post got away from me. I'm just glad I do what I do.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

i can totally relate to you on this one...i am much more at home in front of 100 kids than 10 adults...on sunday mornings i have to make a constant effort to mingle with the adults and not just hang out with the kids...if i am ever asked to preach, i will be sure to get all my "little friends" sitting in the front row for moral support, and if asked to lead worship...it will be to the tunes of Doug Horley playing on the CD player!

Unknown said...

I get it, too. So many people accept the shell that youth put forth as the whole picture. It's so rewarding to be able to see through the veneer and help students figure out who they are. Maybe we're nuts. Maybe we're cursed. But what a way to suffer!