Saturday, February 17, 2007

Outsider...

I've never really fit. I'm not sure if that's just because I primarily work with students, but I have always felt like somewhat of an outsider when it comes to relating to adults. In fact, this past year was the first time since college that I have been in a small group of peers where some of the members are many years older than me and I've felt connected to a group of adults.

Last night my wife and I attended an appreciation dinner that was put on for our pastoral staff by our elders board. I'm grateful for a group like this who is doing what they can to show their support and appreciation of the pastoral staff.

My only addendum is that I was the youngest one there by 5-6 years, and I'm sure that the overall average age was likely around 50. Most of the people in the room could have probably been my parents. Yikes!

Let's face it...I'm young. I just wish that I didn't always feel like an outsider of sorts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in a hurry to age, nor do I want to change positions with anyone. It's just moments like last night that remind me of how different I am from most of the world...and how different I am from many in our church.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a part of why I blog. It's been nice to find people, like you, who are like me. I too, have found that I don't fit in. The students I spend most of my time with are slightly over half of my age. It's nice to know we're not alone on 'the outside'.

Unknown said...

Yeah...we're strange, but at least we can all be strange together.

I wouldn't trade it for anything though!

Jon Coutts said...

you are strange knotter, i'll give you that! but i feel strange too a lot of the time, whether i'm with students or adults. my favourite place to sit at church potlucks is at the kiddie table. they don't expect anything of me, in fact they always seem surprised if I say anything at all. actually they act like i'm strange. dang, i think i feel strange with everyone. except with you. with you i feel pretty normal, because you are crazy.

the Doug said...

normal is a setting on your dryer.