Thursday, February 15, 2007

YM frustrations...

I love my job. I know I'm doing what God has called me to do, but I'll be honest and say that there are just some things I don't like about youth ministry anymore. Ok, so it's just one thing: arranging outside events. You know, those ones where students and parents have to sign their lives away so you can cram them into minivans for a weekend.

I'm currently in a pickle trying to re-arrange (yes, in the sense that it was at one point already "arranged") transportation for a youth conference we are going to be attending. Yeah...this part of the job irks me. I'd rather be teaching or thinking big picture or studying or hanging with the students, not phoning and begging and pleading and pulling what little hair I have left from my head.

I hate trying to arrange transportation. I hate the insurance details and the fine print. I know it's there for a reason, but it sure makes life a nightmare for me. If I had my way I would never plan an outside event again.

(*editor's note - this may have been written in the heat of the moment)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Yep, pretty much I don't do anything off-site with the kids...just too much hassle for insurance and the like...the simpler things are the less my head spins!

Unknown said...

I love trips. But I am totally on board with your disdain of the arrangment issues. Who can drive? "Why can't so-and-so drive?" Why can't you come? What 17th copy of that insurance form?
And on and on it goes...

I still love my trips with students though...

Unknown said...

Yeah..the trips usually end up being great. I just wish that someone would arrange/plan/organize all the details and all that I would need to do is show up.

I'm really looking forward to the reatreat next weekend, but I can't wait until I have all my final confirmations on Monday so I can move on.