Tuesday, July 13, 2010

10 years...

I passed a milestone at the beginning of the month.

Ten years of working full time with students.

I remember starting at a small town church in Alberta and my initiation was heading off on their annual long weekend Bike Trip. I remember my first office and how bare my walls and shelves were. I remember wondering how I would fill my days.

But I also remember being ready to take on the world.

I was so naive.

10 years later and I've filled my shelves and my walls. I've filled days and nights and weekends and months. I've lost sleep (and hair). And I have realized that I still know so little.

But I'm currently doing what I love to do.

In celebration, I painted my office this week. Ok...so Erin painted my office. But I still picked up a paintbrush a few times.


I wonder if I have another 10 more in me?

4 comments:

Jon Coutts said...

congrats Mike. I admire you. I don't know how you do it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for giving so much of yourself to such a worthwhile endeavor. I've been in youth ministry just over 11 years and have wondered the same thing.

I just met a guy last week who's been doing this for a little over 20 years. Ironically though, I heard another less experienced youth pastor ask him if he was going to move on and have his own church anytime soon!

My guess is, as long as you can put up with that question for another 10 years, it's still in you...

Philbert said...

good work, Mike. Thanks for being faithful.

Mrs. Michelle said...

Mike,
Hey!
So silly me... I was just looking for an old blog entry and saw that you had posted a comment on my blog back in FEBRUARY!
I didn't know that you occasionally stopped by to read.
Oh boy, I hope this doesn't change your perception of me. :P
I am going to bookmark your page and read up on it!
Tata for now Fellow Blogger