Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hope for all musicians...

I finally got around to watching "It Might Get Loud". It's a documentary about how Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White make and create their sounds with guitars. There's some great little jam sessions that the three of them share, as well as stories about how they came to be where they are now.

I heard this quote and was forced to stop the movie to write it down.

"On occasion you get nothing. You come out feeling like a complete idiot. You don't know anything and you can't play guitar and you can't write songs."


I cannot tell you the number of times I leave my guitar playing times frustrated and feeling like I can't play or make music. I've always wished that I was a better musician. That I could play better. That I could write full songs. That I could sing better. That I knew music theory better.

And then I hear someone like The Edge, who is obviously a living legend, describe word for word how I've felt on so many occasions, and it gives me a little hope.

After watching the movie I just want to play my guitar...but the kids have currently taken over the back room.

No comments: