Last weekend I was asked to perform the wedding for a former student turned co-worker turned friend, Swarley (but properly known as Josh).
What a blast! It's even better when you get to do a wedding for someone you know, as you get to tell embarrassing stories about them during the ceremony.
Josh...remember the time I made you watch Twilight on your own as an internship project?
Josh...remember that time you went speed dating in exchange for me buying your supper...and all you ordered was a salad!
Josh...remember the time you turned bright red during a trip through the mall when someone pointed out the lingerie section and said "Look Josh...it's boobie land."
I actually didn't tell that last one in the ceremony, but it's still pretty funny.
After the Friday night rehearsal which was held in a church I previously worked at, we decided to sneak down into the basement and check out the youth room. It was remarkably similar to the way we had left it almost 5 years ago, except that it was obviously getting ready for a paint makeover.
Nonetheless, it was a great little hike down memory lane.
- the full wall picture frames one of our leaders designed (and ended up getting used at some Youth Specialties seminars)
- the fire hydrant acquired during "The Van Thing"
- the Playstation we left behind that Erin & I had bought each other as a wedding present
- the "Living Room" sign we developed for the basement door
- the scribbles of "RIOT" and "LUG" on the pillars
- the only thing missing was the sign in the crawl space saying "No floor hockey in the crawl space." (Mike Yaconelli would have been proud!)
Anyways...congrats Josh & Nicola! So glad we could be part of your day.