Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Academy Awards & YM...

Last Tuesday my wife and I performed one of our last official duties in Youth Ministry at our "old church". We attended a High School play. You know, the type that is filled with lots of giggles, a little out of tune singing (ok, maybe more than just a little), some good acting, a little bad acting, and lots of familiar faces.

I've sat through some awful plays during the years, but I need to admit that this was by far the best I've seen. Sure, it still wasn't Oscar worthy, but it was miles beyond the previous years. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that we actually knew 75% of the cast.

In past years I've gone and watched an entire play because only 1 or 2 students were in it. But this year, it would appear that we have a pile of budding thespians. Most were students who have come to an event or a Bible study while a few were from soccer teams that I coached. It just went to show me how far a YP's impact reaches into a community. And that didn't take a whole lot of work. Most of it just happened.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, for fear of my arm falling off, but it was just a great memory to part with. I will miss those kids. They've left a mark on my life that will not go away (and that's ok with me). And for that I am grateful. I may not get any of those hours back that I've spent sitting in that Community Center, but I don't mind.

I love what I do, and I can't wait until I get to do it again.

No comments: