Thursday, November 17, 2005

Pack that truck...

So, we thought we'd call a moving company to see what they might charge us to move our belongings towards the ocean. The guy wandered the house writting notes on his pad of paper and then sat down and pulled out his calculator. Minutes later we received the bad news: $3600.

That's well over double what it would cost to do it on our own by renting a U-Haul. But then the guy phones back today. I told him we weren't interested because the price was way too high. He then asked if we would go for $3200. Again, I told him no. Then he asked if we would do it for $2500, but the catch would be that we'd have to leave next Monday or Tuesday.

I told him I'd have to talk to my boss (a.k.a. my wife) and get back to him. We've decided that it's still higher than the U-Haul, but this way we don't have to load or unload and we don't have to drive the truck. Sounds like a good enough deal to me.

Unless anyone wants to helps us move for even cheaper. Any takers?

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Bro,

Be careful with those moving companies. Make sure that the company is reliable, and trustworthy, and read through their damage and loss of goods reponsibilites and proceedures. My family has used moving companies 3 times, Twice we ended up missing some highly valuable, sentimental, and irreplacable items. And the 3rd time there was extensive damage to some major items.

Don't mean to scare you, just be aware, especially with someone willing to drop big and fast.

Just lookin out for a brother.

Go Leafs Go.

-Kerry

Unknown said...

I hear you. This is the same company that just helped my in-laws move earlier this year and they did a good job. Hopefully it will all go well!