Sunday, August 03, 2008

More books...

I should probably update the Reading Contest. So, here's the latest:

Book #27 - I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle
The class nerd gets up in front of the school at graduation and announces to everyone that he loves the coolest girl in school. What follows is a crazy adventure that is part Ferris Bueller, part Can't Hardly Wait, a little Drillbit Taylor and a side of Superbad. I've always been a sucker for those high school stories where the nerdy guys gets the girl in the end. It drifts past the PG storyline in a few places, so it should be interesting to see what they do with the upcoming movie.




Book #28 - Beatitude by Matthew Paul Turner
I've read a few of Turner's books. Something has always bugged me about him and his writing. And this time I was able to put a finger on it: I see a bit of myself in his story. And it bugs me. Not him...mostly me and the way I can be. It's part of my journey, and it's nice to be able to identify with someone like this. Maybe I can come out unscathed in the end. Now I realize this didn't say much about the book, so I apologize.




Book #29 - When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris
I thought I'd branch out and try something new. I saw this on the "One Week Only" shelf at the library. It's the shelf where books are picked up first come, first served and you can't reserve the books. Oh yeah, and late fines are $1.00 per day after the first 7 days. I ripped through it and was left laughing, chuckling, cringing, and annoyed. It's kind of all over the place. The guy is so completely random, that you never know where he'll end up. I'd be hesitant to recommend this one due to content and language, but with that said I might try one of his other books.



Book #30 - I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert
This guy just plain cracks me up. If you like him on The Colbert Report, then you'll get a kick out of this one. How can you go wrong with a guy who says you need to randomly make rules up for your kids to follow so that they are kept on their toes? You can't.




So, what are you currently reading?

No comments: