Saturday, August 02, 2008

I'd rather be there...

I would have loved to be at Old Trafford today to watch this.

Manchester United beat Espanyol 1-0 in a game designed to honor one of the clubs great strikers. Solskjaer, the "baby-faced assassin", who once came off the bench to score 4 against Nottingham Forest (1998/99) is probably best known for scoring the winning goal against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final in 1999. That goal ensured that United won the infamous Treble.

Since I started following United, Solskjaer has been one of my favorite players (whose number, as you can see here, I regularly wear on my back). Whether he was playing up front, playing on the wing, or just coming off the bench, he would get it done. The sheer number of goals he scored after coming off the bench (I think it's 28) is mind boggling alone.

Truly a great player. I'm glad to see he's sticking around at United in a coaching capacity.







And no tribute would be complete without this classic song. But be warned, there's a little language in it.

No comments: