Saturday, December 19, 2009

What to do with Christmas...

As a church we've been going participating in Advent Conspiracy. If you're not familiar, the basic idea is to encourage people to spend less and give more (money & presence). (And yes, we've already heard the comments about how encouraging people not to spend in a poor economy is not wise. I'll spare you any social commentary because I'm bad at math.)

So I'm trying to figure out what my place is in all of this. As a family we decided to cut back on the family spending this year. That's a great first step, but I need to be a little more proactive on the second step which is give more presence. Specifically, I need to give more of myself this Christmas season, particularly to my family.

I also found myself challenged by Mark Driscoll's recent blog post about how dads need to make sure they don't drop the ball this holiday season and how they need to get out there and do some family stuff.

So, that's pushed me to try and think a little more creatively. What can I do with my family to create a few Christmas memories this year?

So, here's a few things:
  • We curled up on the couch last Sunday and watched The Santa Clause 2&3 (we're all a sucker for Christmas movies). I discovered that mom is the preferred cuddler of choice by both kids.
  • A local bowling alley had $1 bowling games, so we went 5 pin bowling. I discovered my son is just as competitive as his dad (and maybe even his mom).
  • I took my kids for "coffee" after school yesterday. I discovered that Jones Soda beats out hot chocolate any day of the week.
  • We're breaking the bank tonight to take in an Abbotsford Heat game tonight as a family. I hope to get us there early enough so we get our free Santa hats! Woohoo!
  • Hung out with some great friends on Wednesday night, ate supper and played Phase 10.
  • Hanging out with more great friends this Wednesday to eat pizza and ride the Christmas train.
I've also got some time off in the next couple of weeks, so I'm hoping to use that wisely and not just be a vegetable.

So, what are you dads doing with your family this Christmas season?

No comments: