Sunday, September 18, 2005

The week in review...

Well, since it's all said and done, I figured that I would recap what happened this past week. It's probably fairly easy to figure out, but here's the rundown:

Tuesday
I read my resignation to the board of elders. My wife and I have decided that it's time to get our Masters. But a few things have led up to this, and I told them that. I think it's safe to say that this caught them completely off guard.

Thursday
Told three of our recent grads who are now off at college.

Friday
Told our volunteer youth staff. They handled it very well and were very excited for us as we take this next step.

Saturday
Told our students. This was by far the toughest. Their comments make this hurt even more, but I'll probably reflect on that later this week.

Sunday
Read my resignation letter from the pulpit.

I'm still processing it all. To loosely paraphrase the great philosopher Napoleon Dynamite, "But it hurts real bad." It's not all gloom and despair though. We are taking a step that we want to take and have wanted to pursue for some time. I just wish that it could have come about under better circumstances.

Oh well, I guess you can't win them all.

4 comments:

Todd Porter said...

praying for you! if you need to talk feel free to im me and i'll give you my phone, so we can chat. i know what it is like to leave, having done it real recently.

Unknown said...

Thanks. I still might take you up on the offer.

Unknown said...

This entry almost paralleled my week. Let the elders know Tues. night, students on Wed., some college kids who've graduated from here on Thurs., congregation on Sunday morning.

This has been, by far, the most difficult thing I've ever been a part of. I'm right there with you. Your students sound like mine. Maybe we can be an encouragement to each other...

Unknown said...

Wow...I think it was Worldwide Week of Church Resignations. Didn't the rest of you get the memo?!?! lol