Friday, January 04, 2008

$0.88 Reviews...

A local video store rents out new releases every Thursday for $0.88. How can you possibly go wrong for that price? So consider this the beginning of a new blogging series...at least until I grow bored with it, or forget that I started it in the first place. Here's what was playing last night:

Stardust

When this movie got released it wasn't even on my radar. In fact I had never even thought about watching it until I stumbled upon someone's list of favorite movies of 2007 (I can't even give props as I don't remember who it was...sorry). They listed it under a heading something like "Most Underrated Film of the Year" and even went as far as to compare it to The Princess Bride.

Wow. $0.88 well spent. Very entertaining, creative, and funny film with witches, pirates, falling stars, falling in love, and Robert DeNiro in a dress (I kid you not). I was splitting a gut at some parts while at other moments I was completely engrossed in the fantasy.

I'd be hesitant to show it to a younger audience and if you happen to be in the camp that considers the likes of Harry Potter and Halloween to be a tool of the devil, you may want to pass this one by. But if you haven't heard anything about this one, and you're looking for an evening of entertainment, you may be pleasantly surprised.


Waitress

This was another one of those films I hadn't heard much about, but Erin had mentioned something about wanting to see it. Since I've been choosing such terrible movies lately I decided to go with her suggestion. It was probably a good idea.

I really don't want to say anything that may ruin the movie, but it deals a great deal with relationships and infidelity. I constantly found myself wrestling with the question "who's to blame in all of this?"

My guess is that you'll likely be taken through a range of emotions that has you identifying with certain characters and feeling sorry for them while you feel complete disgust with others. You'll probably get a few laughs in along the way.

But my highlight of the movie was probably Andy Griffith. He alone made it worth the $0.88.

In other news...

Canada is currently up 2-0 over the USA. It's looking like a Canada-Sweden match up for the gold medal, provided they don't completely check their brains at the door. Which, I hate to say, is entirely possible with this year's team.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have briefly heard of Stardust but wasn't sure about it. I will have to give it a watch. It still won't come close to AVP - that movie is in a category all it own.

Miss watching movies with you...someday soon :)

Unknown said...

Well, my Admin Assistant just quit, so we're hiring. Interested? lol