Sunday, October 19, 2008

Happy turkey day...

We're a week late, but it'll have to do. It's officially Thanksgiving for us today.

The turkey is upstairs in the oven. Erin is making pie. The kids are cleaning (huh?). And me? I've found a way to play some mini-hockey with Aidan, play guitar while watching some John Mayer concert on the TV, and now I'm catch up on some blog reading.

Yes, I'm the lazy one in the family.

In other news, my youngest child decided that it would be a great idea to stand on my guitar case and jump onto the chair. Really?!?! How is that EVER a good idea?

If I could ground her, you wouldn't see her until her 20th birthday.

In other news, our church participated in a subsistence diet this last week. The idea was for everyone (who was willing) to eat only rice and beans for a portion of the week. Then we were supposed to take all the money we would have spent on our own food and buy groceries that we could donate to the local Food Bank.

(By the way, I got my butt kicked and barely made it through one day. I'm such a wimp.)

This morning everyone was encouraged to bring the food forward as an offering and we piled the stage with boxes and bags. I'll admit that I struggle with the whole "look what we did" part of this (even though we specifically said this was not the point). But I'll also say that we probably made a baby step forward.

But I'm worried that it might end there. I'm worried that it might only fill a crack that exists (a lack of food) but that it won't push us to come up with any longterm solutions to combating poverty in our community. I'm worried this will only be a one time thing.

So, how do you push people to take it further?

No comments: