Monday, April 27, 2009

The "other" voices...

Two things dawned on me lately that I'm not particularly proud of.

One is that even though I like to think I'm a half decent communicator, I'm finding that I still have a long way to go to become a better communicator with the 3 other people closest to me. So that's one area that I need to key in on. It's a work in progress that I'm trying to sort out.

Second, I have found that I have surrounded myself with a lot of input by 30-40 year old Caucasian males (mostly from the US). I'm sure there is some societal explanation for this that I will never understand, or attempt to understand, but I am unnerved that it is there nonetheless.

I heard Rick Warren speak this last week about how we need to learn from everyone. I'll spare you the details of the interview for now, but suffice it to say that it gets me thinking.

Who do I learn from?

What books am I quick to buy and read?

What podcasts and speakers am I quick to listen to?

Needless to say, I need to start listening to some new (and in some cases "older") voices. So here's what I've done, or am doing:
I know there's more to be done, but at least it's a start.

So, what "other" voices are feeding into your life?

No comments: