Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wheels...

With Erin starting school this fall in Coquitlam we were in a place where we knew a second car would certainly be helpful. We've been able to make it with one car for a number of years, but it seems to get a little more chaotic each year that the kids get older.

So we started hunting during my vacation. I scoured Craigslist and BuyAndSell and Auto Trader. We drove around looking at car lots. We test drove used cars and new cars. We made phone calls and sent emails. We even put a deposit on one car, only to back out after doing some more homework.

But then along come two of the most generous friends a person could ever hope for. They offer to buy us a car. Uh...yeah. Their rationale? They know a pastoral salary isn't much and they know that we're trying to get Erin to school, so they felt like they were in a place where they could help out.

This was a humbling process for me. At first I struggled with it...a lot. I felt like it was an expense that I should be responsible for. It was something that I should do. People shouldn't be buying me cars. But the more that we talked about it, the more I felt God trying to get through to me.

His words: "Don't be an idiot. Accept the gift." (loose paraphrase)

So we accepted. And a week or so later we signed all the papers on this little gem.

Yes, it's baby blue.

Yes, it used to be owned by a teenage girl.

But it's got 4 wheels, and it runs pretty good.

And I am learning that sometimes it is harder to receive than it is to give.


I am humbled by the generosity of others.

Thank you my friends.

No comments: