Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Coastal regrets...

When I left home at 18 to head off to college in Regina I don't think I would have ever imagined living on the coast. In fact, it wasn't until I was in college that I got a look at a city bigger than Winnipeg. (Some say I was deprived, but I didn't lose any sleep over it.)

For a prairie boy like myself winters consisted of digging snow forts, shoveling snow, playing ice hockey, and making hour long drives into the big city to play indoor soccer.

Now I long for a snow day that lasts longer than 6 hours, play outdoor soccer year round and bemoan the fact that my kids do not get to experience pond hockey on a weekly basis.

What brings on this sudden nostalgia?

I got invited out to some midnight hockey a week and a bit ago and it just drove all this home. I hadn't played hockey on ice in over 5 years. The Devon ice rink was the last time I laced up the skates and threw on the equipment and I remember dropping the gloves at center ice with Chad as we attempted to show off our fighting prowess. One of many such "fights" that still elicits laughter from my wife and anyone else who may have witnessed our shenanigans.

Being on the ice recently again hurt my aging body so much (I'm old and out of shape.), but it brings back a lot of great memories of prairie life. And it reminds me that I should put the kids in skating lessons or something.

And lest I come across as an anti-west coaster, let me also say that I love it out here...especially when it's not raining! Check this out:


No comments: