Monday, October 31, 2005

That's a wrap...

Lots of tears were shed this weekend (some of which were mine), but our time has now come to a close. Friday was my farewell (and my birthday, I might add) and I just want to say that my students and leadership team rock! They did a "wicked awesome" (some student terminology for you) job on the whole night.

I truly count it a privelage to have worked with them over the past 5 1/2 years. It really is sad to say goodbye, but we rest in the memories and knowing that we'll probably see them again. (Some of them sooner, rather than later, as they plan to invade our house one weekend in November.)

We're now technically on holiday (or "vacation", for my American readers) until the end of November. We get 4 days in the mountains for a retreat with the other pastoral staff (and spouses) which will be a great way to say goodbye to them.

I don't think that this has all sunk in for me. It might not fully hit me until the U-Haul pulls away from what has been our first home. We'll be "temporarily homeless" and we sometimes wonder when (or if) we'll have our own place again. I can't tell you exactly what our life will look like one month from now, nevermind 6 months.

This isn't normal...but we'll manage.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you. Just finished up a 6 1/2 year ministry in our 'first home'. It was so hard to leave.

We've been at our new church for only a week now, so everything still feels all out-of-whack. It's tough for me to really get going - I feel so emotionally drained after leaving. I guess all I can say is, keep a good grip on God and let Him take you where He needs you. I'll do the same and we'll both end up all right...

Hangin' on with you for the ride,
Mike

tonymyles said...

I just read in McManus' book "The Barbarian Way" an interesting thing about rhinos. They run faster than squirrels and can reach speeds of 30 MPH. Unfortunately, though, they can't see more than 30 feet in front of them. That means that as they run forward all they attend to is that which is front of them. They can't see that far ahead, so that's all they worry about.

Maybe that's like us... maybe it's less about saying "what's next" and more about asking "how do I love the people in my foremost field of vision?

Dang it... I threw out something hopeful there.