Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Book #23...

Sustainable Youth Ministry
Mark DeVries

Remember this post from a few weeks ago? It got me thinking about our current student ministry systems (or lack thereof). I started working my way through DeVries book and was finding some of the same themes coming through.

This was one of those books that only fueled a fire that was starting to burn. The questions that are currently racing through my mind about the ministry I provide leadership to, and the dreams that are beginning remind me that I am doing what God has called me to do.

Mark shares some of the insights he has gained over his lengthy student ministry career. This wasn't one of those "do these 3 simple programs and you will grow" kind of books. It's a book about the systems we often create, or fail to create, in student ministry.

I'd like to think that I have a lot of this student ministry thing figured out, but then I read a book like this that reminds me of how much I need to keep growing. And it inspires me as to what our church can do to continue to have an impact in the life of students in our community.

This will be one of those books that stays within an arms reach so that it can be resourced often.

If you are currently working in a church with students, you should definitely read this book.

No comments: