Monday, November 16, 2009

Book #39...

Relationships Unfiltered
Andrew Root

Can I just say that I am absolutely giddy with excitement at the quality of youth ministry books that have been popping up on the radar lately?

I grabbed another one while at NYWC and I've been working my way through it and finding it's really causing me to think/rethink what relational ministry is all about.

If you work with students, I think you should buy this book and read it. Process it. Re-read it. Make your leaders read it. Just don't ignore it.

I think "relational ministry" has become such a buzz word in student ministry over the years that many youth leaders/pastors have completely lost the true meaning of what it is about. Is it all about influencing students to make a certain decision or to act a certain way, or is it actually about presence and being with students in whatever they are going through regardless of how they may respond?

This book might be a good wake up call, or a pat on the back that you're doing things well, or maybe a little of both.

No comments: