Monday, August 13, 2007

Who's Afraid...

My SP gave me this book (Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard and Foucault to Church) a few months ago to read and I've been slowly plugging away at it over that time. It's all about post-modernism and the connections with some of the recent trends within the church that have hints of some "old school" philosophical lines of thought (and even practice).

James KA Smith uses a few films to describe links between some thinkers like
Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault and then compares them with the church. At times the comparisons are intriguing, yet at other times they are simply mind-boggling. There are so many uses of various "isms" that I usually needed to have a dictionary open while I read.

It's definitely one of the more challenging (intellectually) books that I've read in a while, but I hesitate when it comes to practicality. If you're at all familiar with the names associated with the book or with concepts like deconstructionism or metanarratives, this will probably be an good read for you. If not...make sure you have a dictionary and be patient as you read. You'll feel smarter when you're done...or at least that's what I keep trying to tell myself.

1 comment:

Jon Coutts said...

great stuff mike. sounds intriguing.