Friday, September 05, 2008

Book it...

Bryce was curious as to what I've been reading lately. Here you go.

Book #31 - Black Friday by James Patterson

I needed some mindless reading for the beach, so this is the one I went for. So much talk about stock markets and crashes...it made my head hurt.

Book #32 - Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath
I discovered this author while reading a short story in this book. I found the book in some little off-the-beaten-path bookshop in Maui for $3.50. The subject matter is a little intense, but again it was a beach read.

Book #33 - Going All the Way by Craig Groeschel
I hadn't read a relationship/marriage book for a while, so when I stumbled across this one at Leadership Summit a few weeks ago I figured I'd drag it with me on the plane and maybe learn a thing or two. Also, it's been a while since I did any pre-marital counseling and I'm thinking it may be time to expand the resources. As for the book...it's a quick, easy read. A little simplistic at times and maybe a little cliche, but in a day and age where so many marriages fail, maybe we need to focus on some of the more simple things. I'd recommend the book to a younger couple that was thinking about getting married.

Book #34 - Thriller edited by James Patterson
I wanted to find some new authors, so I grabbed this collection of short stories. This was the wrong way to find a new author. Basically I had to grit my teeth and fight my way through a score of stories that did nothing to captivate my attention. It was a mammoth of a book to get through so at some point, rather than just return it to the library, it became a personal battle. I was going to finish that entire thing and reign as champion. I am the champ now. But the book fails to recognize me for my feat.

Book #35 - Lord Save Us From Your Followers by Dan Merchant
It had a discount sticker on it at the outlet book store. I have heard of the movie, so I figured I'd gibe the book a shot. At times I was saying to myself that this was beyond cheesy as the author heads out into public covered in bumper stickers and tries to initiate conversation about the culture war that exists between Christians and the rest of the world. Yet, at other times I found myself appreciating the heart and message of so much of what Dan spoke or captured in his various interviews. It's another example of how "Christians" have been missing the mark of loving people and how it's time to do things differently.

Book #36 - Bloody Mary by J.A. Konrath
I read the first book in the series so I figured I'd try book 2. It's kind of the same, only different.

Book #37 - Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koren Zailckas
This memoir traces Koren's battle with alcohol from her teenage years, through her college years and into her working life. I'll admit that I found it odd that someone who had such a massive battle with alcohol would never actually label herself as an alcoholic. But then again, I've just learned that there is a difference between and alcoholic and an alcohol abuser. Either way, this story was gut-wrenching, saddening, eye-opening and even hopeful. A story of the darker side of alcohol and how one can escape it's clutches.


Just curious, what are you reading these days?

1 comment:

Tarasview said...

I'm reading:

Try Dying and Try Darkness by James Scott Bell (you'd probably like them Mike)

Up Pops the Devil by Angela Benson

The One Hundred by Nina Garcia (pretty sure you'd hate this one Mike)

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson (read this one immediately Mike)

The Penny by Joyce Meyer

Prayer Saturated Kids by Cheryl Sacks and Arlyn Lawrence

Dragonlight by Donita K. Paul

Seeing Through the Lies by Vonda Skelton

Isolation by Travis Thrasher

And several books on ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome.