Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The snow allows some catching up...

Book #11
Me to We
Alan Nelson

Besides being a constant advertisement for Group Publishing, Church Volunteer Central, and his own books and articles, there was a number of principles found in this leadership story/parable that are helpful.

The idea is built around the fact that too many churches are pastor-centered where the congregation is not fully equipped or released to do much.

I agree. I'm also guilty. And I wonder how much of my "church career", I've built up ministries around myself instead of fully training and equipping the volunteers to lead.

I've always found it difficult to release others. I have a tendency to hold on too long and too tightly, which is why having a full time intern this year has been completely healthy for me. I'm learning that I am not (and should not) be the center of ministry life.

It sounds like a no-brainer, yet it seems so prevalent in the church today.

I'm rambling now. But I'd recommend giving this book a go if you're at all interested in rethinking how you get others involved in ministry. You may not find anything completely new, but it will get your mind working.

No comments: