What is PROXIMITY? Well, it's not something cool like our student ministry name. It's not even the name of the camp. Rather, it's a concept of growing close that we've been trying to develop with our students. It's been at the heart of what we've done for almost 2 years now. And the basic focus is two fold:
- Help students grow closer to God
- Help students (and leaders) grow closer to one another
We have a pile of students that have little or nothing to do with God. We also have a pile of students from a pile of different schools that don't know one another. And some weeks they act accordingly. PROXIMITY doesn't fix it entirely, but it is a tool we use that helps.
We also used grilled cheese once upon a time. And that worked too.
Anyways, I'm going through all the pre-retreat jitters. Did I pack everything? What am I forgetting? What problems are we going to face? Who isn't going to show up on time? What if the rental vans aren't ready? What if the students hate this? What if I hate it? Will I survive?
As for right now, I am aware of the following:
- the 4 vans are booked
- the camp is expecting us (or at least most of us)
- pop, water and munchies have been purchased
- the teaching times have been planned
- some prizes have been set aside
- games have been prepared
- registration forms are all in one place
- worship leader is prepped and ready to go
- Tim Horton's French Vanilla mix is set aside (yikes, I almost forgot my mug!)