Sunday, January 04, 2009

Students in church,,,

Not many of our Wednesday night students attend our service on Sunday mornings.

But in the last 3-4 months we've seen a few more popping up from time to time.

The other thing you need to know is that I usually sit with the students (or is it that they sit with me?) during the service. The last couple of weeks we decided to sit somewhere else to change things up.

Well, it just so happened that a group of 4 students were sitting in the same general area as us. It's 4 students that are normally loud and not all of them were "born and bred in church", which means that they don't always behave the way typical "church kids" behave.

You're tracking with me, right?

Well, this crew was a little on the loud side today. Nothing life shattering by my account. Just kids being kids.

Well, after the service someone had a go at them. I didn't hear the conversation, but I knew they were getting an earful. And would you believe it, that I was next in line?

Here's the transcript as I remember it:
Person (obviously steamed): "Who do those kids think they are?"

Me (obviously blindsided): "What do you mean? They're kids."

Person: "They were talking all service. They were showing no respect for anyone. They showed no respect for the Lord's Supper."

Me: "Uh...well...they probably don't know better. They aren't in church much."

Person: "Does nobody teach them any respect?"

Me: "I don't know. They probably don't get told much. Did you try talking to them."

Person: "Yeah. You mean, this doesn't bother you?"

Me: "Uh...no."

Person "storms" off.

What do I do? I immediately head over to my students, shake hands and tell them that I think they're great and I look forward to seeing them on Wednesday.

And just for the record, I do not accept responsibility for the way any of my students acts while in church. I am their youth pastor, not their parent. If they are loud, try talking to their parents or to the students themselves (and do it in love). If it continues, then please find somewhere else to sit. It's a big room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A hearty AMEN!!! Good job Mike. I'm with you!
-cheryl