Monday, June 30, 2008

Vintage...

Book #23 - Vintage Jesus by Mark Driscoll & Gerry Breshears

I've been waiting to read this book for some time now. I actually pre-ordered it last November with the plan that I would read the book when I got the free PDF copy in February. Well, the promised PDF never turned up in my inbox, but at least the authors scribbled on one of the pages in my book. I suppose that counts for something?

If you've listened to Driscoll teach you'll definitely be able to picture him saying the things he writes in this book. He used a sermon series as the basis for this in depth look into Jesus. Each chapter looks to answer one specific question about the life of Jesus. Questions like:
  • Is Jesus the only God?
  • How human was Jesus?
  • Why did Jesus' mom need to b a virgin?
  • What makes Jesus superior to other saviors?
I thought he did a decent job adding some perspective to some of the common questions that are asked about Jesus. But, as always with Mark, while you get a wealth of Biblical references, you also get his non-stop sarcastic (some might say "unfunny") humor.

Personally speaking, I get a kick out of the guy. I don't know if I agree with everything he says, or how he says it, but I find he can make me think. And to me that is the sign of a good book.

No comments: