Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Book #17...

Death By Love
Mark Driscoll & Gerry Breshears

I started reading this as prep work for a message I was getting ready to teach on the death and resurrection of Jesus.

The book consists of 12 letters that Mark writes to different individuals explaining how the death and resurrection of Jesus can impact their life. He dives into detailed descriptions of everything from justification to propitiation to expiation to unlimited limited atonement.

It was not a simple read. Nor was it always pleasant. Many of the personal stories of the individuals that Mark writes to are just plain uncomfortable to read. That said, it isn't something to ignore. I actually found that it brings new life to everything I'm reading.

I'll also admit that Driscoll's tone sometimes teeters on condescending. But, if you know that he's a "call-it-like-you-see-it" kind of guy, it tends to match up with what he's like when preaching and teaching.

This book is a great resource that I imagine I'll be dusting off time and time again. I'd recommend reading it.

No comments: